Saturday, March 28, 2009

Savvy by Inrid Law

Savvy Savvy by Ingrid Law


My review


rating: 3 of 5 stars
The Beaumonts are a special family. When a Beaumont turns 13, they get their savvy. They might be able to make storms, they might be able to create electricity or move mountains, but whatever they do they have to keep their special talent a secret from the outside world.



On the eve of her 13th birthday, Mibs Beaumont's father is in a terrible car crash. He might not wake up. When her mother takes leaves for the hospital several hours away she takes only Mibs' oldest brother, leaving Mibs to celebrate her most special birthday on her own with the remaining Beaumont children and the church pastor's nosy wife and kids. Mibs is convinced that her savvy will save her father, but does she fully understand her new power?



I like the book's premise, and I can see why it got a Newbery Honor. It was fun and I would recommend it to kids. The rollicking language became a little distracting after a while, but I think it adds interest to the writing.


View all my reviews.

No comments: